Temple University’s Ambler campus began as the Pennsylvania School of Horticulture for Women (PSHW), whose records date from 1911 to 1958, and the Temple University Ambler Campus (TUAC) whose records begin in 1958.
PSHW was founded in 1910 by Jane Bowne Haines and was the first horticultural school for women in the country. The images in this collection reveal the school’s dedication to a hands-on approach to educating women in farming, animal husbandry, gardening, and landscape design. In addition to various clubs and school activities, these images depict the students working in the fields, gardens and greenhouses. The collection also contains many images of the campus, including aerial views and landscape drawings of the various gardens.
In 1958, PSHW merged with Temple University and became Temple University Ambler Campus. In addition to the horticultural images, the TUAC collection also includes images from commencement, the Philadelphia Flower Show, and Temple Music Festivals. Aerial views and landscape design drawings are also included. Scans of these images will be added to the digital collection over time
For Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) accommodation, including help with reading this content, please contact email@example.com .